Writing in Forbes, career counselor Amy Blank offers tips for exuding confidence with your body language—even before you utter one word (Tweet it!):
- Lock eyes – Eye contact makes the people you are speaking with feel important.
- Offer a firm handshake – and reach out to initiate it.
- Stand up straight – Don’t rest on an inanimate object.
- Keep both feet on the ground – Crossing legs or shifting weight can make you appear nervous.
- Take up space with your hands – The more space you take up, the more confident you may appear.
- Claim a seat at the table – If you are invited to a meeting, avoid those overflow chairs along the walls.
And here’s the best part: It is possible to act ourselves into new ways of feeling (Tweet it!). As you perform these simple actions, you may actually begin to feel more confident!
We want to hear: What strategies do you use to appear more confident than you may actually feel? To join the conversation, click "comments" on our Community of Practice Forum.
If you would like to read more about creating a habit around masterful communication, check out our book: Be Quiet, Be Heard: The Paradox of Persuasion.